December 19, 2007
– Veoh Viewers Consume 30 Million Hours of Content Per Month; Seek Out Zombies, Celebs, Prom Queens and High Doses of Meth –
LOS ANGELES, CA – (December 19, 2007) – Veoh Networks (www.veoh.com), the leading innovator in Internet Television, today announced 2007 results that indicate increasing viewer demand for a broad variety of episodic, longer form, and on-demand online video entertainment. Since its official launch in February, Veoh has seen exponential growth and significant viewer engagement:
- During the course of 2007, Veoh's audience grew to 21.5 million unique monthly viewers from 2.5 million. This represents an average increase of 20% per month and a total year-over-year increase of 760%.
- Veoh viewers demonstrated high levels of engagement in 2007, consuming a total of more than 30 million hours of content in November. The average viewer now consumes more than 80 minutes per month, a rate that continued to grow throughout the year even when Veoh introduced advertising in Q4.
- Downloads of the VeohTV beta application, which enables high quality PC-to-TV viewing and provides remote control and DVR capabilities, grew rapidly since it launched in June 2007 and continue to rise. Over the past two months, first-time active VeohTV beta installations have averaged a rate of 900,000 per month.
- The average video view length on Veoh.com is now 6 minutes per video. In the VeohTV beta, the average video view length is 19 minutes per video.
- More than 40% of views on Veoh occurred during early evening and primetime TV hours rather than off-peak TV viewing hours.
"If 2006 was the year of online video, then 2007 must be seen as the year Internet Television was born. Viewers are becoming much more comfortable watching programming online, and as more and more players enter the space, the services that provide the most compelling user experience and discovery opportunities are the ones that will separate themselves from the pack in 2008," said Steve Mitgang, Chief Executive Officer of Veoh Networks.
"The exponential growth of Veoh's service shows that our innovative approach to creating a true television-like experience on the Web is making a real connection with viewers. In addition, our open platform is attracting the best content – both studio-backed and independently produced – providing us with the largest collection of longer form programming on the Internet," continued Mitgang. "As we continue to evolve and focus on the user experience and ease of use, Veoh is in a great position to lead the mass adoption of Internet television viewing in the year ahead."
Viewer Favorites in Q4 2007
Thanks to the growing community of independent producers and increasing TV network support for Web distribution, Veoh viewers consumed a well-rounded mix of major studio content and independently-produced programming during Q4 2007. While major network TV shows, celebrity news and web sensations like Vuguru's "Prom Queen" drew large audiences on Veoh, viewers were also drawn to off-the-wall indie productions such as Mindsplinter Films' interactive horror series, "Day of The Dying Living," NextNewNetworks' cartoon series, "The Meth Minute 39" and the veggie telenova, "Two Peas In Your Pod."
"As more TV viewers turn to the Internet to consume their entertainment, it's obvious that online video offerings can help complement – rather than compete with – TV and cable networks' efforts to engage viewers," said Dmitry Shapiro, Veoh's Founder and Chief Innovation Officer. "Innovative Internet television services like Veoh help independent producers connect with huge audiences and provide TV networks with unique opportunities to find and build additional fans around shows that don't perform as well to traditional TV viewers."
The top 15 most popular independent-professional videos on Veoh this quarter were:
- Day of the Dying Living, Episode 1 (Mindsplinter Films)
- UsTV: Kim Kardashian's Sexy Fitness Video (UsWeekly)
- Prom Queen: Summer Heat – Week 3 Compilation (Vuguru)
- Soma Celeb News: Jessica Alba Loses Tooth In Kissing Scene (SomaGirls.tv)
- Changing Room Confessions: Rock & Roll Dress and Tights (Ford Models)
- Fast Lane Daily Special Edition - Lamborghini Reventon Stefan Winkelmann Interview (NextNewNetworks)
- Fast Lane Daily Special Edition - Inside the New Nissan GT-R (NextNewNetworks)
- Soma Celeb News: Kid Rock Brawls With Tommy Lee (SomaGirls.tv)
- Woman Giving Birth!!! (Matt Bloom Films)
- Prom Queen: Summer Heat Episode 7 (Vuguru)
- Two Peas In Your Pod Episode 10:Birdseye Peas (Kevin Schnitz)
- The Meth Minute 39 - Internet People! (NextNewNetworks)
- Model Beauty Tip: Gina's Tan Towels (Ford Models)
- Backyard FX: Spaceships (NextNewNetworks)
- Horror Facts #2: Werewolf (Mindsplinter Films)
Veoh 2007 Milestones
2007 was a critical year for Veoh, as the company not only significantly extended its reach, but also created an experience that gives viewers the power to easily discover, watch, personalize and share online television -- whenever and wherever they want. Key highlights from this exciting year included:
- February --Veoh officially launched its Veoh.com site
- June -- The company launched VeohTV beta, a free downloadable application that turns the vast universe of online video into an easy-to-use, comprehensive Internet Television experience
- July -- Steve Mitgang joined Veoh as Chief Executive Officer
- August -- Veoh closed its Series C funding round, garnering $25 million in financing.
- September -- AdWeek named Veoh one its Top 10 Digital Hotlist sites
- October -- Veoh and Pixsy announced a media search partnership
- October -- Veoh launched full-length TV series
- October -- Fox Entertainment Group, MySpace, Veoh, The Walt Disney Company and other media and internet leaders announced support of a set of collaborative UGC principles
- November -- Veoh launched its first online video audience zone, Rides
- December -- Veoh reaches more than 100,000 content publishers
Veoh's 2007 results are from the company's internal systems and reflect the 12-month period from December 15, 2006 to December 15, 2007.
About Veoh Networks
Named one of AdWeek's Top 10 Digital Hotlist sites in 2007, Veoh Networks is an innovative Internet Television company that delivers broadcast-quality video programming via the Internet.
The Veoh Networks' portfolio includes Veoh.com, one of the most popular video hosting services on the Internet, and VeohTV, a free downloadable application that turns online video into Internet Television. Veoh.com has more than 85,000 content publishers - from CBS, Lions Gate, PBS, National Lampoon, Road and Track and Us Magazine to thousands of independent filmmakers and content producers - and currently attracts over 19 million unique users per month. VeohTV makes it easy to turn any computer into a digital video recorder that allows viewers to watch and record shows from thousands of Internet video sources. For advertisers, Veoh offers compelling ways of engaging with a targeted audience and measuring performance of their ad buys.
Veoh Networks is a privately held company that is backed by leading technology and media investors, including Goldman Sachs, Shelter Capital Partners, Spark Capital, Michael Eisner's Tornante Company, Time Warner Inc., Tom Freston and Jonathan Dolgen. The company's principal offices are in Los Angeles and San Diego, California.